Friday, June 16, 2006

Final Reflections On Greensboro

What the convention was about for me will be difficult to say. Permit me to break it down if you will.

The Events--I was able to attend a debate referenced in an earlier post concerning the doctrines of Grace. The participants fairly well represented in a gracious way the two sides of a theological spectrum that must live together in the SBC because both sides have many followers sharing their respective views.

The business sessions were respectful and fair for the most part. Some of my desires won out and some did not. I do believe I saw a new day dawn in the realm of debate from the floor where opposing views were shared with passion on both sides of almost every issue. That's healthy in my opinion. Bobby Welch presided and was for the most part gracious and respectful. I do believe he may have interjected his own view of some issues a little more often and strongly than a moderator usually should. But that's easy for me to say. He carried a big responsibility well.

I attended the Founder's breakfast and it was superb, both food and speaker. In the course of the week I met twice late at night with a room full of blogers the second of which was with the newly elected president Frank Page. I can tell you it was totally non-political and one of the best times of prayer I have experienced at a convention in some time. I came away with a clear understanding Dr. Page was beholden to no one and will represent all Southern Baptists this next year [good for him] and that the bloggers have no agenda. They do have a strong desire for openness and fairness and I believe both will be promoted by our new president. Morris Chapman and others dropped by and the same can be said about their visit, totally non-political. A desire for representing all, openness and fairness, and a love for the Lord and the SBC were things expressed by everyone. Refreshing.

The People--How fun it was to reconnect with people. A meal with Rick Shepherd serving the Florida Baptist Convention and Dave Clippard Ex. Director of the Missouri Bapt. Convention, both of whom were on my staff when I pastored Southcliff Bapt. in Ft. Worth, was a highlight for me. To talk with Mike Carlisle of NAMB another former staff person and to see Al Gilbert, Gary Cardwell, Bill Melton, Duane Floro, Steve and Ann Harris, Bill and Retta Haynes, Al Phillips, to name a few, all of whom I've pastored and are now pastoring or serving churches or the denomination, was outstanding. What a choice group of people we have in Baptist life.

The Bloggers-- Meeting this group of young men and women was a highlight to me personally also. They are sharp, articulate, passionate, and transparent. They have no desire for image or the creation of false perceptions, but long for genuiness and reality. Their biblical knowledge astounded me. The recapturing of the authority of God's Word as our only rule of faith is very meaningful to them. So to argue using traditions or opinions as authoritative will not pass muster. They are open to all having personal traditions or opinions, but to make those the basis of beliefs or standards for behavior that are binding on all baptists, will not do. They do take seriously the authority of God's Word and agree on essentials but even disagree with each other on non-essentials and are still struggling to know what belongs where in those categories. They are to me, a stirring breeze of revival in our day.

The Future--I've been in the forefront of a lot of battles and sat on the sidelines of others that perhaps I should'nt have. I've had my times of running hot and also cold spiritually. There have been occasions in my 66 years when I've seen a touch of real revival both personally, in churches, and in a small way, denominationally. I'm grateful for being a Southern Baptist still after 50 years in the ministry so far. I do not believe the SBC is the best organization going in God's Kingdom work. I will have to wait until that day when all hidden motives and purposes are revealed [1Corth. 4] to know things like that. It is just one tool of many in God's Vineyard. But it is my tool of choice and I'm renewed in my own conviction that we may be seeing a fresh wind, ever so light but nonetheless real, of the Holy Spirit. The struggle for the truth of the doctrines of Grace, while being commited to fulfilling the Great Commission is a sign of healthiness to me. Young men and women bloggers are leading the way, along with a host of young pastors and others. Far from hindering our work, they may be a unique gift from God to bring healing much as the Brass Serpent did to Israel. We are to remember that the gift is never to be the focus, but the Giver of the gift is to be honored and obeyed. So this old [er] heart of mine has been stirred, renewed and encouraged by Greensboro. May God use us all in greater ways than we ever dreamed in His Kingdom's work and in SBC life.

Paul Burleson

11 comments:

Bob Cleveland said...

Paul:

A perceptive post, with some courageous opinions. You must've inherited some of that from Wade.

Oh .. wait .. it's normally only insanity that parents inherit from their kids.

Never mind.

Well said, friend.

Kevin Bussey said...

Paul,

Thanks for your perspective. I know what you said about bloggers is my heart.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed meeting you, Paul. You were a great encouragement to me over the past few days as you supported your son and articulated your heart. It was an amazing time, and I am much richer for it. Grace and Peace to you.

Anonymous said...

Paul, What a wonderful post! Plan to use some of it Sunday morning in the Bible Class I teach. (both men and women,sorry)
Experiencing this year's annual meeting filled me with hope but brought back emerging feelings of long-held resentments too. I'm working on that.

I not only admire you and your son but I agree with your perception of Baptist bloggers. My guess would be that we will be seeing many more going on-line this year. Readers will have to be very careful about knowing who they are reading. While some leaders try to make us think that the "blogger boys," as they were called, had little influence, it is very clear to me that history will show that the 2006 SBC was blessed and changed by a new dimention called blgging. For that gift from God, Iam grateful. Ann

Micah Fries said...

Paul-

To be encouraged by men like yourself, who are mature, experienced and conservative, is of great value to me, and many others. I can't tell you how much of a privilege it was to meet you in person. Thanks so much for your kindness.

Anonymous said...

Paul,
It was a pleasure to have some time to share in the hallway! I mentioned my appreciation of your influence in/on Wade's demeanor during the sessions! That was certainly true after all of them were completed!
It was a pleasure to discover the common area's from bi-passes to bikes and trust that by now you've had a safe trip home! We drove down yesterday and finished unpacking this morning! I've had the opportunity to talk with several of the IMB Trustees and I believe there will be substantive action on "Wade's" referral! We'll see what occurs with the EC on my motion to change the term for service to 7 years and limit the time of service to one term? I do believe there should be more focus on service by those with expertise or training as selections are recommended by Nominating Committee.

The Lenoxes said...

I am proud to be the daughter of such a wise and articulate man! I have looked to you in all of my 43 years for wisdom and guidance, and it continues to this day. I so want to be like you when I grow up! :) I love you and am grateful that you are my Dad!

Melody

Paul Burleson said...

Bob, I did inherit a bit of the usual from Wade I assure you. Good to meet and talk with you in GB.

Kevin, Thanks buddy. Normally I'm perfectly happy where I am in age but you are one of those rare guys that make me want to be young again. Keep it up.

Alan The joy was mine in meeting you I assure you of that. Stay the course as difficult as it gets.

Ann, Preach...er...teach...er...share on this sunday in power. You and I both know in the New Covenant the Holy Spirit annoints "Sons and daughters...Young men and old men" to do their calling. More Power to you.

Micah, You and your Dad are a real example of everything you mentioned.

Blampp, Let's ride somewhere someday soon.

Melody, Babe you said it exactly as I wrote it. :) I love you too. DAD

Paul B.

Michael Harrison said...

Paul -

I am a pastor in Virginia but grew up in Tulsa (Skelly Drive Church) knowing you in Broken Arrow and getting to know Wade while he was at Sheridan Road. Your integrity, commitment and strength have inspired me for 20 plus years. Thank you and keep on!

Finally, Wade is speaking for many of us across our convention. You taught him well...

Chuck Andrews said...

Paul,

Thanks for taking the time and expense to go to GB as a messenger of Grace Fellowship. I appreciate your perspective and have learned over the years that I can trust your discernment. It's good to hear this report and the ring of hope you and other bloggers have communicated.

Chuck

Anonymous said...

Do you really believe that God selects those to be saved and those who will got to Hell, prior to being born into life?