Sunday, May 27, 2007

A TALE OF FORTY EIGHT YEARS












May 28th 1959. Some days you just don't forget. It was hot, humid, and the air conditioning at the First Baptist Church in Edmond Oklahoma had gone out. On top of that, all ten siblings of the bride were in the wedding. I waited at the front so long I needed to shave again. I thought the event would never transpire.

After six hours [ministerially speaking] she came in. One look and I knew she was worth the agony of the wait. I can still see her start down the aisle. I had sung a very special song to her many times. [This was when music WAS really music.]

First a boy and a girl meet each other
Then they sit down to talk for awhile
In your heart you want her for a lover
While each step draws you closer to the aisle

You may start with a simple conversation
Like darling please put me on trial
Then you'll know in your heart she is just for you
While each step draws you closer to the aisle

Then you put a ring on her finger
And the tears start flowing about
In your heart you'll now she is just for you
While each step draws you closer to the aisle

The preacher did his part. [He was her dad] He asked "do you?" We both said "I do." He said "you are." And we were married at the ripe old age of 17 [her] and 18. [Me]. I kissed her and was perspiring so badly [the heat you know] I slid off her lips. Forty-eight years later...today-May 28th...I'm still kissing her but not sliding off as I once did. It's created a few problems across the years. Four children, thirteen grandchildren and one great-grand child. But as the country song says "If I had it to do all over...I'd do it all over again."

Now, you're probably wondering what could have possessed Mary to do it and to stay with me so long. She wasn't too sure the night before the wedding. She got cold feet. She doubted slightly. I fixed that. I reminded her It was God's will. This was back in the days when I knew God's will for everyone if they would just listen to me. Some did some didn't. She did. I'm glad. I think she is too.

But to break a blog fast to celebrate this day I do need to speak seriously for a moment. [Though Mary and I have learned to not take much too seriously.] What does go into a marriage enabling it to last for forty-eight years?

Only the Grace of God and the reality of Christ as our life is the real answer. But to break it down into bite size portions I would say......


Acceptance....We're learning to accept each other where we are, as we are, with no demands for change made by the other.

Respect....We're learning to appreciate each other as individuals NOT defined by the other. Funny how the Bible DOESN'T teach the "two shall become one." When someone says that to you a wise question to ask them would be..."which one?" It does teach the "two shall become one flesh." But that's the kissing part. It kind of seals the union of two complete, whole, unique individuals in a life long covenant sealing it with....that kiss. [And a lot more if you get my drift.]

Commitment....We're learning to be genuinely committed to the life we have in Christ by the Grace of God and a willingness to change as we continue to grow in every way. You do have the chance you know [if you stick around with each other long enough] to grow up, older, wiser, more gracious, more forgiving and, you know, all those christian things that are really just His life experienced.

In fact, the key, if there is one, may be in those first two words in each of the preceding paragraphs..."We're learning." If that ever stops you're dead in the water and the marriage will start leaking and probably sink. We've had some leaks, fixed them, and then we find some more. But the Grace of God is a gorilla of a glue.

That's the only way Mary's done it. Me? I've been perfect for the past thirty or forty years. :)

The truth really is Mary is that gorilla glue [Grace] embodied in a woman. Were that not a fact forty-eight would have never happened. My true thoughts of her are still those thoughts I had when I saw her start down that aisle a long time ago. The line of another song says what those thoughts were and are..."She's close enough to perfect for me."

Happy anniversary Mary. Thank you for the best years of my life.


Paul

21 comments:

Paul/Mary Burleson said...

Hey, Handsome,
May I be the first to comment. . .
(Yikes, we've really changed, haven't we?)

I think we both know that it took both of us working 100% (none of this 50-50 stuff) accepting, respecting, forgiving, and loving to make this wonderful journey of 48 years. And, it is so worth it as evidenced by our enjoyment of each other at this time in our lives. Yeah!!

You and I have talked about having an exciting 50th celebration in two years. We hope to ride up to the party on our motorcycle, lead the group in dancing our favorite C&W choices, and perhaps my clogging group (me included) performing. Fun, fun! We're working hard at not being the typical golden anniversary-ites, aren't we? ;-)

Happy Anniversary, Handsome.
Love you much.
MB

Paul Burleson said...

Mary,

You ARE my kind of woman. :)

J. Guy Muse said...

Congratulations to your both on your 48th there! Your words of advise on things you are learning are very helpful to those of us following behind.

Paul Burleson said...

Guy,

Thanks from both of us.

Bob Cleveland said...

Paul & Mary:

Add Peg's and my congratulations to the others I'm sure you've heard by now.

We gotcha beat by 2-1/2 months. We were married on Friday the 13th of March, 1959. What that really means is that we understand the sort of commitment to each other it has taken, to bring you to 48 years of marriage. You two are to be admired and congratulated, for that.

I think it was Kevin Bussey who commented on my blog, that younger folks today desperately need to see older folks who are happily married and dedicated to biblically fulfilling marriages. And, who show forth the success available to folks who do that God's way.

Kudos to the two of you for modeling a whole lot of that.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you, and God's blessings!

Those are both good pictures, and really, you haven't changed all that much. The only thing is, in the recent picture, there's that awful red thing in the background.... ;)

Have a great anniversary.

Paul Burleson said...

Bob,

It takes this long to realize you've survived doesn't it. :) I wouldn't miss the rest of it for the world.


Lee,

Thanks. Sometimes the background stuff tells as much about the people in the picture as anything does. In this case....It SURE does.

BOOMER SOONER

Debbie Kaufman said...

Great advice, I have especially taken the acceptance piece of this to heart. That is my problem as both a wife and a mother. Letting go of expectations and accepting my husband and children where they are. Wade and Rachelle have given this advice over and over in their talks on marriage and it is something I am definitely listening to. Thanks Paul and a Happiest of happy anniversaries to you both.

Paul Burleson said...

Debbie,

Thanks from both of us. As I said, we're STILL learning. I guess we never graduate but we sure are enjoying our time in the classroom. :)

Chuck Andrews said...

Paul

The longevity of 48 years is inspirational. But the real inspiration is the enjoyment you and Mary have in one another.

Thanks for the encouragement of example.

Congratulations!

Chuck

art rogers said...

Congratulations!

I truthfully say that I would never have guessed you two old enough to be married that long.

Blessings!

Paul Burleson said...

Chuck,

At the risk of sounding hokey...It really is true that we are best friends. But the enjoyment, I think, has come after finally realizing that each one of us is different from the other and that's to be celebrated instead of cause for concern.

Thanks for stopping by.


Art,

Ok. I'm paying for the meal the next time we eat together. :)

Kevin Bussey said...

Congrats! It always encourages me to see people who still love each other after being married for some time.

Paul Burleson said...

Kevin,

Thanks. I sure enjoy reading the myriad of topics on your blog. You've put the FUN back into blogging.

Anonymous said...

Paul & Mary,

Congratulations to you both. What a wonderful milestone and tremendous example to the rest of us!

Oh...and I absolutely love the background! ;)

Alyce Faulkner said...

Mary and Paul
my heartfelt congratulations.
You two are indeed a great example to all couples, young and old.
AlyceLee

Paul Burleson said...

Paul,

Thanks. I'm not surprised you like the background. It does say a lot about a guy when he's perceptive enough to appreciate the finer things in life. You're obviously a top notch person.

Now if we can turn Lee [see the unfortunate choice of words in the above comment...sixth from the top...I almost didn't allow it to be published on this highclass blog] to the truth of backgrounds we will have accomplished much. :)

Alyce,

Thanks for stopping by and one of these days I'll get to meet the guy who has been your hubby for a good many years. I enjoyed meeting you in Ft. Worth and it is always fun to know the team of husband and wife.

Thanks for your thoughtful and helpful blogs too.

Jeff Rogers said...

I have been blessed by your ministry and your family. I am encouraged and thrilled to see the joy inyour celebration.

Since I am a very proud daddy of a junior sooner, I will attest to the honor of standing infront of that same back ground.

May God grace you with many many more May 28's.

Jeff

Writer said...

Paul,

My heartiest congratulations to you and Mary on 48 years of marriage. You not only give good counsel but you also model it as well.

Kindest regards,

Les

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm feeling a bit kinder toward OU these days, especially in the past three years since my Arizona Wildcats plucked Bob's brother Mike off the bench and into a head coaching position. If he leads us to a national championship and a couple of Rose Bowls over the next few years, I'll think a lot more kindly of the Sooners...my "animosity" toward that awful red thing has to do with the rivalry between UA and OU that has played itself out in the NCAA basketball tournament the past decade or so. As far as football goes, better the awful red thing than either maroon or burnt orange! :)

Paul Burleson said...

Jeff,

Thanks. Celebration is the word. We've fought, tried to change the other, resisted change ourselves, been mad often, but have finally found celebration to be the best course of action. When we keep in mind it's all by the Grace of God, we just keep on celebrating.

Les,

I appreciate the kind words. We've prayed for and are still interested in your son's recovery and are celebrating that too.

By the way, we'll be in San Antonio on sunday and plan to get with Bob Cleveland if possible. We ould count it a privilage to spend a little time with you and your wife too.

Lee,

I believe I see a crack of hope on the horizon. I'll relate this to Paul Littleton and he and I will both celebrate your openness to all things OU. By the way, "Go wildcats" we like Mike too.

Folks I'm doing a lot of celebrating aren't I. :)